Monday, January 30, 2012
1) Primary sport (s): Crossfit
2) Team member since: 2011
3) City/state of residence: Norwood, MA
4) Occupation: I work for Again Faster selling Crossfit gear.
5) Goals for 2012: Top qualify and comete in the 2012 Crossfit Games.
6) Notable achievements/memories/PR’s in your sport: In 2009 I won the Northeast Regionals and went on to place 10th in the Games. In 2011, I placed 2nd in the Northeast Regionals and placed 15th at the Games.
My Favorite memory is after the first workout on the final day of the 2011 Crossfit Games. This workout had two of my biggests goats in it. I was terrified to do the workout. I finished second in my heat and the rush of emotions, pride, relief, and disbelief were overwhelming. That workout really means something special to me because I overcame and succeeded at doing something I doubted my abilities to do. This taught me not to doubt myself and really helped me remember to hold myself to a higher standard.
7) Favorite inov-8 gear: The f-lite series.
8) List one thing others may not know about you: I grew up riding horses and competed in barrel racing.
9) Favorite energy drink/food: I love coconut water.
10) Your favorite race/event and why? My favorite event is Regionals because this is where you find out if all the hard work is going to pay off and win you a spot at the Games.
11) Advice to other athletes: You can do it. Nothing is easy. Expect a struggle. The struggle is the best part when you end up succedding.
Sunday, January 29, 2012
1) Primary sport (s): Trail Running
2) Team member since: 2010
3) City/state of residence: Colorado Springs, CO
4) Occupation: Running store worker and Film Maker
5) Goals for 2011: Run sub 30 for 10k, sub 2:20 for a road marathon, qualify for the US Mountain running team, and get some vengeance on the North Face 50 Mile.
6) Notable achievements/memories/PR’s in your sport:
2010 Colorado State Marathon winner and CR
2011 Colorado State Trail 25k winner and CR
5 time top 10 finisher Pikes Peak Ascent
2010 Triple Crown of Running winner
2007 NCAA Cross Country All American
7) Favorite inov-8 gear:
Flite 230, X-Talon 190
8) List one thing others may not know about you:
I PR’ed by over 2 hours in my second marathon.
9) Favorite energy drink/food:
10) Your favorite race/event and why?
The Barr Trail Mountain Race is one of the best trail races in the west and it just happens to start 3 miles from my front door. It’s run smoothly and always draws a lot of good competition. As long as I’m in the country BTMR is always going to be on my race schedule.
11) Advice to other athletes:
If you like 5 fingers, you'll LOVE the new Inov-8 Bare XF 210's designed specifically for the CrossFit community. Immediately I recognized the same minimalist/barefoot feeling, with my feet feeling close to and griping the ground. I found the XF Inov-8's more comfortable, light and certainly easier to put on and take off vs the 5 fingers. I notice a slight more cushion than the five fingers, which my 62 year old feet appreciate. I have not done any significant running in them, and I doubt that I would choose them over the Inov-8 195's for running. I was never a big fan of running in 5 fingers either. You won't get the odd and curious stares, as when wearing 5 fingers. This may or may not be a good thing depending on ones point of view.
I just completed my 3rd WOD in them, including movements such as, Jumping Lunges, Clean and Jerks and multiple Rope Climbs.
No issues at all, in fact, I never gave the shoes or my feet a second thought, (a good thing) with the exception of the Rope Climbs where I appreciated the secure grip, non slip feature of the Inov-8 XF. After a dozen rope climbs, the Inov-8 XF's showed zero wear and tear. I feel confident that they have achieved there purpose in every way.
1) Primary sport (s): Trail running, Ultrarunning, Mountain running, Snowshoe running
2) Team member since: 2004
3) City/state of residence: Mansfield, MA
4) Occupation: Research Professor
5) Goals for 2012: Run a few interesting FKT’s, lower my road 50k PR, win a few races with CR’s.
6) Notable achievements/memories/PR’s in your sport: 6th at the IAU World Trail Championship and 11th at the IAU World Road 50k Trophy in 2011. CR at the Escarpment Trail Race, FKT’s for the Great Range Traverse in the Adirondacks, Devil’s Path in the Catskills, and the Pemi Loop in the White Mountains
7) Favorite inov-8 gear: Road X 233 and 255, Roclite 318 GTX, Terrafly 313 GTX, f-lite 230, X-talon 190
8) List one thing others may not know about you: I spent the first month of my life in an incubator in Montreal after getting a ride in a US Air Force helicopter from northern NY 10 minutes after being born. Apparently it was an emergency.
9) Favorite energy drink/food: Gatorade and Coke
10) Your favorite race/event and why? The 2011 IAU World Trail Championships in Connemara Ireland. It was the first time I have seen a trail eat a person, I learned that grass can grow on a vertical surface, I experienced an uphill bog, and I witnessed someone rowing down a mountain. From a competition standpoint, I had the strongest race of my life on the exact day I wanted it. Between the people and the landscape, Connemara is an incredible part of Ireland.
11) Advice to other athletes: Don’t waste your time on events that do not suit your strengths. It is much more enjoyable to compete at an event where you use your absolute potential. Miracles rarely occur on race day; your training should be at a level which makes your race goal a logical result, and not dependent on a vast improvement on race day.